Brideshead Revisited Photo Essay


This is the ceiling of the Great Hall of Oxford University. I liked it not only because of the beauty of the design, but because I found that very same Gothic design in every site visit for this week. A ceiling like this communicates great wealth and prestige.


This was the second Gothic ceiling I saw, located at Eltham Palace.


This was the third Gothic ceiling, found in Hampton Court. 


Moving away from prominent Gothic ceilings, I found that these painting located in the Great Hall of Oxford very impressive. They depict famous "alumni" and benefactors of Oxford, such as Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Elizabeth II, and Cardinal Wolsey. I wonder the effect that these paintings had on students such as Sebastian. I'm sure they added a lot of pressure to be great.


This was Virginia's bathroom in Eltham Palace that I talked about briefly in my field journal. I liked it because it was the most "sumptuous room in the house" and mixed both classic and modern design to showcase Virginia's femininity and wealth. 


This was a random stained glass I found in Eltham Palace of royalty (there was no description so I'm not sure who it is. This stained glass, much like the kind at Oxford, serves a purpose of never letting the inhabitants forget that this building was lived in by royalty and wealth. 


This is the outside and back of Eltham Palace. It shows both the Tudor and Baroque styles of architecture. This obvious change in style is a good physical example of what Charles meant when he said that he "loved buildings that grew silently with the centuries, catching up and keeping the best of each generation." (chapter 1, part 3)


Finally, this picture in Henry VIII's part of Hampton Court shows the four writers of the Gospel bashing the Pope's head in with rocks. This is one of the most blatant examples of England's movement from Catholicism to Protestantism. 

Comments

  1. Great job Rachel. It was a great week full of adventure and I am so excited to see what is in store for the weeks ahead! Your blog is an excellent recap of what we explored and does a great job relating this week's theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all of the medieval ceilings with their intricate designs. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I think it is so funny how all of the sites had them. Your photo selection is excellent. It really summarizes the week. I especially love the last photo, which is the most obvious example of the subject we explored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog for this week! I really liked your emphasis on the architecture and differing styles in your photos and captions. I think you made great connections to the theme and our book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I esp admire how you followed a theme (hammer beam ceilings) and also made subtle, illuminating connections between image and our challenging novel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts