Jane Eyre Photo Essay


This was a piece of art that I found interesting: it shows a woman drawing a ball to determine whether or not her child will be allowed into the Foundling Hospital, and the wealthy look on, entertained.


The tokens made a great emotional appeal, but I found the unclaimed tokens to be even more emotional, meaning that these children were never claimed by a relative. 


In the Court Room of the Foundling Museum, we see Moses depicted as the orphan that he was. These pictures depict the great pain felt by his mother in being nothing more than a wet nurse while also showing that orphans can grow up to do great things. 


A small example of the bird analogy, found in the Geffrye: "...he puts me into a gilded cage and cripples my budding wings!"


Lastly, this painting displays a warning to woman who may be tempted by their sexual desires.

Comments

  1. Super images -- dramatic, well composed -- and effective commentary that helps us see the links with Jane Eyre and the theme of the week. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong picutres, I found the quote with the bird picture to be very on point and was something that I did not catch when I was at the Geffrye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you were able to find that caged bird quote-- I didn't even notice it. I think it really helps tie Jane Eyre into our site visits, as well as make it seem more tangible that simply a fictional novel. Lovely pictures as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you shared with us how some of these images made you feel and we can see what appeals to your eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You used a lot of great images, I really like the first one. I didn't even notice it in the Foundling Museum. Good job finding another great bird analogy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts